Notify the School District of Your Decision To Homeschool
If you have decided to homeschool your child then you must send a letter of intent to the school principal notifying them of your decision. This letter must be sent before beginning to homeschool.
Follow these steps to fill out and send a letter of intent.
- Copy and paste the sample Hawaii Letter of Intent below into a new document.
- Fill in the brackets with your personal information.
- Print 2 copies (one for the school principal and one for your records).
- Repeat this for each child that you homeschool. The school will need one for each child’s personal file.
- Mail a signed copy of your letter to the school by certified mail before beginning to homeschool.
Sample Hawaii Letter of Intent
Sample Letter by Christian Homeschoolers
Copy and paste the following text into a separate document to print:
[Your Phone Number]
[Name of Your Local School]
[Address of Your Local School]
Re: Notice of Intent to Homeschool
We are hereby notifying you of our intent to homeschool our child [name of child] for the remainder of the school year. For your records, the student is:
[child’s full name]
[child’s phone number]
In accordance with Hawaii Administrative rule title 8, chapter 12, Compulsory Attendance Exception, we are notifying you of our intent to homeschool. As stated in the above rule, we will, if requested, be submitting our progress report at the end of our school year.
We would appreciate a written acknowledgement of our notice of intent and request that any future communication be in written form for our record keeping.