CALIFORNIA: LOW REGULATIONS
Help keep HOMESCHOOL STATE LAWS up to date! If any of these post links aren’t giving you the intended information or if the information contained in this post is out of date, please let us know by leaving a comment below.
Required Attendance Age
The state of California requires your child to attend school from the age of 6 to 18 years old. If you live in California and you would like to educate your child at home instead of sending them to public school then you have 4 legal options:
- Turn your home into an official private school.
- Enroll your child in a private school independent study program (also called a Private School Satellite Program).
- Hire a private tutor or teacher.
- Enroll your child in a public school independent study program (charter schools offer these as well).
(see legal reference #1)
Requirements For The 4 Legal Homeschooling Options
Each of the 4 legal options for educating your child at home have different requirements. Click on the links below to read what the California Homeschool Law is for each legal option.
If You Need To Withdraw Your Child
If you need to withdraw your child from a public school in order to begin educating them at home than follow these 4 steps in order:
- Decide which legal option you will use to educate your child at home (choose from one of the 4 listed above).
- Follow the appropriate procedure (depending on what option you chose in step #1) to notify the Superintendent of Public Instruction that you have chosen to educate your child at home (instructions on notifying the Superintendent are found in each of the links above).
- Send a withdrawal letter to your child’s school to let them know that you will be officially withdrawing your child to another school on a specific date. You can send it in by mail or take it in person.
- Keep you child home on the date that you specified in your letter.
NOTE: You can withdraw your child and begin homeschooling anytime of the year as long as you follow these steps in order.
Immunization Law For California Homeschoolers
The California immunization law does not require children who are educated at home to receive vaccinations.
(see legal reference #2)
Helpful Websites For California Homeschoolers
For local support and information visit these California homeschool websites:
- Required Attendance Age: California Education Code 48200.
- Amended Immunization Law: California Senate Bill 277 (120335 b,f).
This summary is for informational purposes only and is not given as legal advice. HomeschoolStateLaws.com does not endorse any of the links or organizations listed above.