California Student Records Request Letter

Request Your Child’s Records

After you have sent an official withdrawal letter to your child’s school from your new private school then you can request a copy of your child’s records. This step is optional if your child now has a private tutor, or teacher, or if they are participating in an Independent Study Program. However, if your home is now a private school, and you will be teaching your child at home, than requesting your child’s records is mandatory.

Follow these steps to send a written request for your child’s records.

  1. Create letterhead for your new school by typing your new school name, your address, and email address in a large font.
  2. Copy and paste the sample California Student Records Request Letter below into your letterhead document to print.
  3. Enter your personal information in the brackets and print 2 copies.
  4. Mail a signed copy of your letter to the school by certified mail. You can also hand deliver it but make sure to note the date and the person to whom it was delivered on your own copy.

NOTE: “Old School” refers to the school you will be withdrawing your child from.

Sample California Student Records Request Letter

This letter is by the HomeSchool Association Of California.

Copy and paste the following text into a separate document to print:

[old school Principal’s Name]

[old school’s name]
[old school’s address]

RE: Withdrawal of [child’s name] from [old school’s name]

Dear [principal’s name]:

This letter is to inform you that [child’s name], birth date [child’s birth date], student ID number [child’s school ID number if known}, has been enrolled at [your new private school name] as of [date of enrollment in new school].

Please send this student’s cumulative file to this school at the above noted address, pursuant to California Education section 49068. Please include attendance records, transcripts for all grades attended, report cards and progress reports, disciplinary information and records, standardized testing participation and results, Individual Education Plan (IEP) if any, health records, psychological evaluations, speech and/or language evaluations, any other special education evaluations, and any other school records regarding the above-named student.

Thank you for your assistance.


[your name as new school administrator- be sure to sign it]