Officially Withdraw Your Child
If your child already attends a Illinois public school and you would like to begin educating them at home then you must notify the school that you will be “transferring” your child to a non-public school (remember homeschool is not officially recognized in the state of Illinois). The non-public school is your school at home.
Follow these simple steps to withdraw your child and begin educating them at home.
- Print a copy of the Illinois Student Withdrawal Letter below.
- Fill it out with your personal information and make a second copy for your records (remember the non-public school name is whatever name you decide to give to your homeschool, for example: Smith Family School).
- Mail a signed copy of your letter to your child’s school using Certified Mail return receipt request.
- Keep your child home on the date indicated in your letter.
- Send in a Student Records Request Letter within 10 days of sending this withdrawal letter.
Illinois Student Withdrawal Letter
NOTE: This Withdrawal Letter is based on the sample letter by Illinois H.O.U.S.E.