Kansas Withdrawal Letter

Officially Withdraw Your Child

If your child already attends a Kansas public school and you would like to begin educating them at home then you must notify the school that you will be “transferring” your child. Remember homeschool is not officially recognized in the state of Kansas.

Follow these simple steps to withdraw your child and begin educating them at home.

  1. Copy and paste the sample Kansas Withdrawal Letter below in a new document to print.
  2. Enter your personal information in the brackets and print 2 copies (one for the school and one for your records).
  3. Mail a signed copy of your letter by certified mail to the school.
  4. Send in a Student Records Request Letter.

Sample Kansas Withdrawal Letter

This letter is by Midwest Parent Educators.

Copy and paste the following text into a separate document to print:

[Name of your Homeschool]

[Your Address]

[Today’s date]

[Name of School Enrollment Official]

[School Name and District, if applicable]


Dear [Official’s Name]: We are writing to inform you that our child(ren), [Child(ren)’s Name(s)], are withdrawing from [School Name] and will not [complete the current school year/be reenrolling for the coming school year]. [He/she/they] will instead be attending a private school for the remainder of this school year. Please remove [his/her/their] names from your records. To the extent necessary to complete the enrollment at [his/her/their] new school, you will be contacted directly by the school regarding the transfer of records.

Thank you for your cooperation.


[Parent/Guardian signature]