Notify The Ohio Department of Education
If you decide to educate your child at home under the Parochial School Regulations then you must send this Notification Report to The Ohio Department of Education to notify them that “your school” is following the all of the regulations. Send this report in every year.
This report is really intended for parents of children who attend a parochial school. But since you are simply educating your child at home as a parochial school this doesn’t apply to you, even though you still need to write the report to “the parents” for the Department of Education (I know, it’s weird).
Follow these steps to fill out and send in an Ohio Parochial School Notification Report:
- Copy and paste the sample Ohio Parochial School Notification Report below into a new document.
- Fill in the brackets with your personal information.
- Print 2 copies (one for the Department of Education and one for your records).
- Mail a signed copy of your letter to the Department of Education by certified mail with this cover letter attached.
Sample Ohio Parochial School Notification Report
Sample Letter by Unquestioned Truths.
Copy and paste the following text into a separate document to print:
[Your School Name (do not use the word “homeschool” in your school name]
[Your School Address]
[Your School Email]
[Your School Phone Number]
Pursuant to the Ohio Administrative Code, Section 33013508, this report to parents is provided to
you, the parents of the students attending [Your School Name] as required by the Ohio Administrative
Code. The items below are intended to provide you the assurance that our nonchartered,
nontaxsupported school meets the requirements of the Ohio Administrative Code Section
1) Because of truly held religious beliefs, this school chooses not to be chartered. See Section
33013508 of the Ohio Administrative Code.
2) Teachers and administrators have received a bachelor’s degree or the equivalent thereof
from a recognized college or university or have attended and received a diploma from a
Bible college or Bible institute as described in Section 1713.02 of the Revised Code of
3) This school shall comply with state and local health, fire, and safety laws.
4) This school shall be open for instruction with pupils in attendance for not less than one
hundred eightytwo days each school year.
5) The school day for pupils in grades one through twelve shall be no less than five hours
exclusive of the noon recess.
6) This school shall regularly communicate pupil attendance to parents, and shall report each
child’s enrollment or withdrawal to the appropriate authorities.
7) This school promotes children from grade to grade when the child meets the school’s
educational requirements and the child’s parent(s) deem promotion appropriate.
8) Students enrolled in this school are not entitled to free pupil transportation (see ORC §
3327.01) or auxiliary services (see ORC § 3317.06).
9) This school includes courses of study for the following subjects:
a) Language arts
b) Geography, the history of the United States and Ohio, and national, state, and local
f) Physical education
g) The fine arts, including music
h) First aid, safety, and fire prevention
[Your Name Printed]
[Your School Name]