LEGAL HOMESCHOOL OPTION #2:
A California Private School Independent Study Program (i.e. Satellite Program)
Notify The School
Parents who chose this option must simply enroll their child for the Independent Study program with the private school of their choice. The private school itself is responsible for notifying the Superintendent Of Public Instruction, in their yearly affidavit, that your child is one of their students.
Hours of Instruction
The Private School you enroll your child in will determine the days and hours of instruction.
The State of California requires all private schools (including Independent Study Programs) to teach the following educational subjects, in English, as part of their core curriculum:
For Grades 1-6
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Education
For Grades 7-12
- Social sciences
- Foreign language or languages
- Physical education
- Fine arts, including art, music, or drama
- Applied arts, including instruction in the areas of consumer and homemaking education, industrial arts, general business education, or general agriculture.
- Vocational-technical education
- Automobile driver education
- Other studies as may be prescribed by the governing board (i.e. you the parent).
(See legal references #1 & #2)
Parents who enroll their child in a Private School Independent Study program do not need to keep records. The private school offering the online program will be held responsible by the state of California for keeping records of your child’s education.
The Private School your child enrolls in will determine their own testing.
- Required Subjects: California Education Code 51210 & California Education Code 51220.
- Private School Teaching of Required Subjects: California Education Code 48222.
This summary is for informational purposes only and is not given as legal advice. HomeschoolStateLaws.com does not endorse any of the links or organizations listed above.