LEGAL HOMESCHOOL OPTION #3:
Hire A California Private Tutor or Teacher
(For all regulations below see legal reference #1)
Notify The School
Parents who hire a California private tutor or teacher, or use their credentials to become their child’s official tutor or teacher, in order to educate their child at home do not need to notify the Superintendent of Public Instruction or their local school district.
The state of California requires private tutors or teachers to have a valid state credential for every grade they teach.
Hours Of Instruction
The state of California requires private tutors to instruct their students at least 3 hours per day for 175 days out of the year. This instruction must take place between 8 am and 4 pm.
The state of California requires all private tutors to teach the following educational subjects, in English, as part of a core curriculum:
For Grades 1-6
- Social Studies
- Visual and Performing Arts
- Physical Education
For Grades 7-12
- Social sciences
- Foreign language or languages
- Physical education
- Fine arts, including art, music, or drama
- Applied arts, including instruction in the areas of consumer and homemaking education, industrial arts, general business education, or general agriculture.
- Vocational-technical education
- Automobile driver education
- Other studies as may be prescribed by the governing board (i.e. you the parent).
(See legal reference #2)
If your child is being taught by a California private tutor or teacher you do not need to keep records.
However HSLDA suggests that you keep enough evidence to show that your child is in fact receiving an education, about 2-3 years worth of sample work for each child (not a full portfolio but relevant samples).
The state of California does not require private tutors or teachers to test their students.
- Private Tutor or Teacher: California Education Code 48224.
- Required Subjects: California Education Code 51210 & California Education Code 51220.
This summary is for informational purposes only and is not given as legal advice. HomeschoolStateLaws.com does not endorse any of the links or organizations listed above.