California Public School Independent Study

California Homeschool Law - Homeschool State Laws


A California Public School Independent Study Program

Enrollment in a Public School Independent Study Program will still require that your child is enrolled in a California Public School. Therefore, you will not need to officially withdraw your child from the school system. Talk to your child’s school about the program they offer and ask for more information on what steps to take to switch to an Independent Study Program.

(For all regulations below see legal reference #1)

Notify The School

Parents must simply enroll their child in an California Independent Study Program offered by a school district or a charter school.

Hours Of Instruction

The program you enroll your child in will determine the days and hours of instruction.

Required Subjects

The State of California requires that the following educational subjects be offered, in English, in all public and private schools in the state:

For Grades 1-6

  1. English
  2. Mathematics
  3. Social Studies
  4. Science
  5. Visual and Performing Arts
  6. Health
  7. Physical Education

For Grades 7-12

  1. English
  2. Social sciences
  3. Foreign language or languages
  4. Physical education
  5. Science
  6. Mathematics
  7. Fine arts, including art, music, or drama
  8. Applied arts, including instruction in the areas of consumer and homemaking education, industrial arts, general business education, or general agriculture.
  9. Vocational-technical education
  10. Automobile driver education
  11. Other studies as may be prescribed by the governing board (i.e. you the parent).

(See legal reference #2)


Records will be kept by the program. Parents do not need to keep records.


The Program will determine its own testing.

Legal References

  1. Public School Independent Study: California Education Code 51745.
  2. Required Subjects: California Education Code 51210 & California Education Code 51220.

This summary is for informational purposes only and is not given as legal advice. does not endorse any of the links or organizations listed above.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *